Game Studies- Exercises & Lecture Notes

 

 


VIDEO REVIEWS/ LETS PLAY

Week 2 - "Escape Hell" Card Game


Week 4 - 2064 Read Only Memories

Week 5 - Baba Is You

Week 6- Bounce

Week 10- Genshin Impact




Week 1
Introduction to Module

Week 2
No lecture (Merdeka Day)

Week 3
Lecture: 

Exercise: Personal game history (presented in week 4)
My brainstorming notes - 
I decided to organise the games according to different stages in my life.



Week 4 
Lecture: We watched a documentary on Sid Meier and the games he designed.
After that we presented our Personal Game history! 

My personal game history- I did it as a timeline and separated different games that were highlights in my life based on the time I played them and categorised them based on how I felt they influenced me, or in some cases just the reasons those games ended up in my life at all.


Week 5
Lecture: 



Exercise: Select a digital story-driven game and examine how this game has its roots from a similar rpg game from the 1980s/90s. Note the changes and developments that took place and why.

Identify elements such as:
- story
- simulation and puzzle combination
- suspension of disbelief
- choicemaking and consequences
- empowerment

My notes are pretty brief for this one as I just wanted to lay down which games I would be comparing. 
Instead of having just 1 root for this game I wound up doing 2 as I felt it would be more accurate to show the development as such (how adventure games came about as well as how the visual novel genre emerged from it)

Week 6 

Presentation: 
Note: The last slide does not show my points but I concluded the presentation with the following points describing how this genre has changed over time:
- Technological advancements
-Changing video game demographics(not only for adults anymore, western vs asian different genre preference)
- A need to stand out among other games in the same genre / need to make money off of the created outcome
-Realism is less of a focus in modern games
- Desire to write stories that are bizarre -more focus on the content of the game rather than the mechanics 
-desire to never lose (vn) 
-vn genre as a space for creatives to explore and take risks 

I kind of presented for way too long haha. Like 20 minutes. But Mr Charles was very encouraging and had a lot of questions and insight on things I had brought up :D

Popular Posts