Advanced Typography - Project 1





Kyra Binti Rizal Hamzah (0337085)
Advanced Typography
Project 1



Lecture Notes

Week 5

 This week's lecture was by my group!



Instructions 




Project 1
For my poster I'm using the title "Russian Constructivism & Graphic Design" so to start off I looked for some examples of Russian constructivism. I looked through way too many, but here's a few of them just for an idea of it.









Then, I started to try play around a bit and try interpret the style,


Fig 1.1 - A first attempt at recreating the constructivist style : this wasn't very interesting but I like the choice of typeface I used, as I feel like it's blocky thick strokes can work with the art style.




Fig 1.2- Second attempt, including a photo as I saw a lot of photos being mixed into work from this movement.

Fig 1.3- Another iteration of the previous one but with lines (rays?) more inspired by the art style.




Fig 1.4 - Some posters I found made use of dilational type, which I decided to try here.


Fig 1.5- Played with more images:  Aleksandr Rodchenko, who was considered one of the founders of the movement, described the movement as a " montage of printed and photographic materials"
Fig 1.6- I heard the feedback sirs gave in class to other people that the artwork is meant to be more like a logo than a poster so I dialed it back a bit


Then I tried experimenting with more variations of designs
Fig 1.7




Fig 1.8 
Fig 1.9


Fig 1.10


Fig 1.11
Fig 1.12
Fig 1.13- Designs I showed during week 8
Feedback I got was to work on the right most one: Make it more readable (from how it looked there it read more like Constructivism Russian than Russian Constructivism)
Fig 1.14- Designs I showed during week 4
I went with the bottom middle design for my key artwork.


Fig 2.0- Final Key Artwork
PDF of Final Design:



Feedback


Week 5

Good typeface choice, try experiment more
Week 8
Specific feedback- Work more on colours, arrange composition with more intentional alignments, work with the negative space

General feedback- Work on collateral as soon as key artwork is ready


Reflection

Week 9
I'm really tired. My designs went through so many iterations.
Funny how the last one that I came up with in about 10 minutes (Fig 1.13) became the basis for my final design.......



Further reading

“Is It Possible to Create a Truly Global Typeface?” by AIGA Eye on Design 

I found this article to be interesting as it talked bout a type family developed in several languages at once, and although it's not something I deal with often, I do know that the need for multiple typefaces for different scripts can get quite annoying.


I found the concept of the strokes being like one continuous line was interesting.  


Popular Posts