Typography Project 2


9/10/19 - /2310/19 (Week 7-9 )
Kyra Binti Rizal Hamzah (0337085)
Typography 
Project 2




Lecture Notes

Week 8

Describing letterforms
"You can't be a good typographer if you aren't a good reader"
Baseline- visual base of letterforms 
Median- x height of letterforms
x height- height of lowercase x in a typeface
Ascender height should be more than the cap height for balance and the illusion of them being the same height. Capitals take up more space on top than lowercase ones.




Instructions 


Project 2 (Week 7- Week 9)

1.1- Dissection of my chosen font, Gill Sans
1.2- Sketches of my ideas


1.3-  More sketches 
1.4- Digitisation of my typeface


1.5- My typeface in fontlab
1.6- Made the h, m and r match. Changed the g.



1.7- My final typeface (which I didn't know how to name lol)



Feedback

Week 8
General feedback: Update your blog regularly with your progress and lecture notes, don't just leave it till the end of each project

Specific feedback: use the pen tool to make my letters instead of constructing it with shapes


Week 9

General feedback: PC users export as truetype
Specific feedback: make left kerning 0. redo "g". Letters "h", "n", "r" should look similar. Make "t" have a longer stem. 


Reflection

Experience
Week 8-  typefaces are more complicated than I thought
Week 9- I was really sick in class and really wanted to sleep. Also I told Mr Vinod my "g" looked bodoh and he just went "yes it's bodoh" and asked me to fix it XD 
Observation
Week 8- My typeface wasn't that hard to construct digitally since there are a lot of straight lines. I struggled most with the letter "g"
Week 9- Sometimes it is better to do letters with a simple style. For example, the letter g.


Further Reading

1.  The Typography Idea Book // Steven Heller & Gail Anderson
I chose this book because.... well... I need typography ideas for this project.... and this book is about typography ideas....


This page speaks about the use of hand lettering across time and how hand lettering is useful when creating a typeface. 



An example for experimenting with media and techniques.


When experimenting with text, it's best to keep some elements familiar so that readers are not completely lost or confused.


Experimenting with style/form.
Smart type-Type so smart you wish you created it yourself




The use of lower case in typography and the controversy surrounding it.






Popular Posts