Digital Photography & Imaging - Project 2


1/10/19-20/10/19 (Week 7 - 9)
Kyra Binti Rizal Hamzah (0337085)
Digital Photography & Imaging
Project 2


Instructions



Project 2A

We were tasked to make a surrealist image.
First I came up with some sketches of ideas. To be honest, it was a bit difficult for me to come up with ideas that fit the topic and made sense.

Sketches 1 - A city made of cars( I tried developing this one more. See Sketches 2) A jellyfish made of a plastic bag, a turtle with a dome building as a shell, a cloud jelllyfish. 

Sketches 2- I had this idea of making skyscrapers out of photos of roads and using cars to replace window panels.


Sketches 3- A city made of stationery, a cherry bomb, a tap filling up the ocean(The idea I wound up using)

I wanted to create buildings out of streets and cars (As per my sketches in Sketches 1 & 2), and so I began making a mockup of it.

Initial manipulation of roads into the shape of buildings. I used free transform and distort to do this.

It wasn't looking very realistic, so I thought adding the cars to it would help.
Finding photos of cars at the correct angles and perspectives I needed to fit on the buildings, so I borrowed some of my brothers' toy cars so I could take the photos however I wanted.

I took a *lot
The cars I added to the buildings for the mockup.
At this point, I had to make a decision. Although I liked my idea, it didn't seem to look how I imagined; it looked a bit too unreal. Also, it was around this time that it was mentioned that we need to animate our images once completed. If I were to animate this image, the only things I could really animate would be the making the clouds move and making the cars drive. The thing is, I felt that if I made the cars move, it wouldn't really resemble the original idea of the cars representing windows on the buildings.

After a lot of thought, I decided to work on a different idea instead; the ocean being filled from a tap(see Sketches 3).
The photo of a sink I chose to use
I masked it and scaled it to the right size and put it into the image along with a picture of the sky. I also masked out the water so that I could replace it with the ocean. I then adjusted the color matching of the tap (forgot to take a screenshot before that, oops)


Photo of the ocean I used; I wanted a photo with lots of waves so that it could look like it would swirl in the sink.

I then added a photo of the ocean and recoloured it a little bit to make it look like it foamed around the tap and where the waves go.


To make it more like the photo is meant to be the ocean I added some beachlike elements like buoys, a lifeguard post, and seagulls, and added some blur and noise to them since some of the photos were clearer than others.

Added some shadows

Once all that was done I begun animating!



My final piece :D 
Check out the animated version of my piece here https://youtu.be/r3TOtbeBg6Y

Popular Posts